Monday 22 July 2013

Strawberry Fair 2013 - Strawberry Beds, Dublin

It was once tradition for the residents of the Strawberry Beds in Dublin to hold a Strawberry Fair every summer to celebrate both the fabulous strawberry fruit and the long history of strawberry farming in the beds.  This festival unfortunately has not been held for some years, but this year as part of the The Gathering celebration, Blanchardstown Area Partnershop decided they would revive the fair.

I happened across the fair on the facebook page where I noted that they were looking for volunteers to assist on the day.  People were needed for general assistance, plus also as tour guides.  One of my favourite things is meeting new people and talking to them about Dublin (nerdy I know!) so I immediately volunteered as a tour guide.

In advance of the day I attended an induction meeting where I was given the low-down on the day and my role as a volunteer.  After this session I was well informed about the day, and I had every confidence it was to be a great event and was going to run smooth as I could see the amount of preparation  and work the Blanchardstown Area Partnership had put into it.

I arrived on the day and met some of the other volunteers, plus staff from the Partnership.  We immediately got to work folding leaflets/programme of events.



Here I am on the day in my lovely pinky/orangey hi-vis :-)  Plus namecard around my neck.

Enid & Bones came along to say hello

There were loads and loads of great items as part of the programme.  

First up were the heritage walking tours which I was involved in.  I took two groups along the route from the Anglers Rest to the Strawberry hall.  It was probably about 2 miles/25 minutes slow stroll with lovely views all along the way.  
While walking along I told them all about the history of the area (the commercial strawberry farming for supplying strawberries to hotels and shops in Dublin and how it was a very popular day trip for Dublin people to come out and buy and eat strawberries and cream while enjoying the countryside of the beds).  

Both groups were lovely!  The first group were more interested in just enjoying the pleasure of walking a route that they normally can only see from a fast car.  While the second group enjoyed that but also were very very interested in all the historical information so we had great conversation about the history of strawberries, plus the Guinness related history of the land in that area.

I enjoyed doing the tours so much!

Other events during the day were: craft stalls, food stalls, zumba displays, Brass Band, dog show and of course loads and loads of strawberries and cream.



Field beside the Strawberry Hall - in the forefront are the Blanchardstown Brass Band packing up to move to the Community field.

Dog Show in the Community field!

I was delighted to meet my friend Siobhan, her husband and two adorable daughters who were all enjoying the day out - when I arrived the two little girls were dancing to the brass band :-)

All in all it was a great event and kudos go to all involved in the organising and running of it.

I leave you with a little fun fact from my tour.  

Imagine you were a Dublin resident around the year 1900 and you came out to the Strawberry Beds on a sunny Sunday afternoon to enjoy a treat of strawberries and cream.  

Q. Do you know how this would have been served to you?!
Scroll down for answer
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

A. On a cabbage leaf!!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment